A major change is about to occur in my life...any guesses? No, mom, I'm not pregnant! I'm changing my major! It's a little nutty considering that I am a senior, but I feel so good and excited about it. I've been doing Art Education K-12 for the past year now, and I've never been really pumped or passionate about it. This semester I was able to do a practicum class, which gave me the opportunity to teach by myself in actual classroom settings, and...I HATED IT! Ha ha! I taught 1st, 7th, and 8th grade and it was an absolute wreck. My 1st graders went wild and the middle schoolers moaned and groaned all period long. Teaching makes me anxious and sick to my stomach and I don't like being an authority figure. I decided to go a completely different direction and have decided to get a BA in English with an emphasis in creative writing and a minor in Art. I can't wait to start my classes this summer! Woo hoo!
Other than that, life has been same old same old. I loooove my sweet hubby and enjoy spending the evenings together. This month, we were both called to the activities committee at church in addition to our previous callings (me in Compassionate Service Committee and Seb in the Missionary Committee.) We put on our first activity last weekend--inner tubing at Soldier's Hollow. Soldier's Hallow has a rope pulley that pulls you and your inner tube up the mountainside so that you can tube down and never have to do any exercise. It's great.
Some of our close friends, the Swendsen family, just had their first baby, a little girl they named Reese, last week. We were able to visit them and hold the tiny new person.
I've been "working" a lot lately at the Art Library. All I really do is sit on the computer and do my homework. Gee whiz, life is rough. Ha ha. I also work for BYU's guest services with Sebastian. Last night, we took tickets at a Lacrosse game and this evening we are working at a charity concert for 2 hours. I am so excited that it is finally the 15th--that means I can go grocery shopping again! Woo hoo! We ran out of bread, milk, butter this week making cooking quite a creative adventure. Last night, I made Mac and Cheese using evaporated milk and margarine spread. It was actually super creamy. We ate our mac and cheese and watched the Cougars lose their first round in March Madness. We ended the night with some more suspense--Flightplan starring Jody Foster. Oh my goodness I was so rigid the entire night! (Thanks AJ for the NetFlix wedding gift. We LOOOoove it!)
Well, I better get some homework done. Have a nice St. Paddy's Day!
8 comments:
Yay for English majors!! I majored in English, thinking I might pursue a teaching degree. All it took was a bit of substitute teaching after college to for me to decide teaching isn't for me either!! I love to sub, lots of $$ (out here at least) and none of the bad stuff (teacher/admininstration relations, parents, homework, class plans). Now I don't know what I'll do with my degree...I loved getting it though. Good luck with the new change (at least it's not that many credits, you'll be able to finish quickly!)
You're welcome. =) And thanks for the update!! =D
~ AJ
Hello there cousin,
English Majors RULE!! This is great news. Congratulations. BYU has a really great creative writing program.
Sometime we will have to have you and Sebastian over to our new house. I know Abby and Juliette would love to see you.
Ted
Well, at the very least pick a degree that you can use...this is the voice of experience speaking. I have a fabulous degree in Anthropology, a subject that I love, unfortunately there is nothing that you can do with a Bachelor's degree in Anthropology except get a Master's degree in Anthropology....rotten college conspirators!! I think your degree sounds usable, though...good luck! We are huge proponents of finishing degrees at our house, so keep going!
yeah keep it up Jess---have you ever thought about radiology? You'd be a good ultrasound tech.
Jess....I'm glad you're still in school. Keep up the good work. I'll get my degree one of these years. I thought about changing my major to english as well, but, I haven't even been back to school for over a year, so who knows what will happen. Ohh, and let us know when a baby Seb or a baby Jess is on the way.
Hi my baby girl, I loved the update. It's good that you try to keep in touch with your friends.
You're living my college dream, so "you go girl!" Make it happen =D.
I was happy to hear that you got to see Scott and Gabby and their baby daughter Kina. I hope you and Seb will get to visit the Finch's in the near future, as well as stay in touch with Jennifer and Chris and Gordon (Your Lemmon cousins).
Hang in there with school. We love you!
forget the Lemmon cousins and just come and see us
Post a Comment