May 3, 2008
Big Decisions
Sebastian and I have been on an emotional roller coaster the past few weeks. We finished our finals, had a wonderful time with our families during graduation, and began our individual internships (Seb's doing PR work for the church in SLC, and I'm editing at a software company called Imagine Learning). Amidst all the craziness, we've had to decide what we are going to do in the future. Seb applied to several law schools in November, and we have finally heard back from all of them. (His list of schools included Santa Clara, Seattle University, BYU, U of U, ASU, University of Arizona, UNM, William and Mary, and Washington and Lee.) While we were waiting to hear back from the schools, I applied to a few jobs in the cities Seb's considering for law school.
I was surprised and overwhelmed upon hearing that I was invited to join Teach for America. It's this really cool program that hires college grads to teach elementary, middle, or high school in poverty-stricken inner city or rural areas. If I accepted the offer (to teach elementary special education in Phoenix) I would receive a double Master's Degree from ASU in elementary and special education while getting paid to teach. (Oh my gosh! So cool! How could I not accept?!!?) Sebastian was also invited by Teach for America to teach elementary school in Phoenix. We were about 95% certain that Seb would go to ASU and I would join Teach for America when we found out that Sebastian was accepted into UNM's law school. We found out about his acceptance into UNM 2 days before I had to accept or decline the offer from Teach for America.
After much contemplation and prayer, we completely changed our plans and decided to go to Albuquerque! Agh! On May 2nd, my deadline to decline or accept my job offer, I declined and have felt at peace ever since. Sebastian has taken steps to register at UNM, and he is excited to start law school. As much as I wanted the degree and cool experience, I realized that I'd rather be near family and friends. Within the next three years, Jacob will be returning from his mission, Sam will be leaving and returning from his mission, Jared and Jenny will probably be having more kids, my aunt Jacquie's having a baby, and I'll probably have a baby (cross your fingers!!!). I am so glad that Sebastian and I will be around to enjoy making all the memories.
Oh, and one more thing--if your blog link was deleted off my page because of that darn Pyzam.com (Mariela, Andrea, Cheryl...), could you email me your blog address or leave it in a comment? Thanks!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

8 comments:
Congrats on graduation! What an exciting time for you. I am bummed that you didn't go William and Mary! We could have been Virginia buddies! It will be so fun for you to be near family in NM though.
WE are ALL SO HAPPY that you have decided to move to Albuquerque for the next 3 years!!! It will be SO FUN to go apartment shopping and BABY shopping (with Grandma Pitcher):-)
We love you Jessica and Sebastian. You are both near and dear to our hearts. Can't wait to see you again--when is the soonest you can move down?? We'll be around through June 28th, and then back from Europe after July 17th.
Keep in touch! Lots of love, Mom
You forgot to mention about all the great backpacking you'll be doing near Albuquerque! And of course we be doing the Grand Canyon at Spring Break so that you can still experience the best of Arizona!
Congrats! We are so excited! When will you guys move? Yeah!!!
http://snugglezone.blogspot.com/
Way to go Seby Weby and Jessica
Congrats you guys! It's so great to see you're doing well!
I'm so sad you're leaving and I don't even get to see you again! :'(. Have tons of fun in Albuquerque (pronounced Al-boo-kwair-kway). Keep up the blog so I can see what you're up to!
Sorry I haven't given you my blog address until now! Agh! It's http://weezgirl15.blogspot.com/
Post a Comment