Jul 15, 2009

Marriage on My Mind


I usually don't like to post unless I have pictures to share, but I've had something on my mind that I'd like to write about. Lately, I have been hearing so many negative things about marriage. That all marriages eventually fail, that there is no such thing as soul mates, that many people live their entire married lives unhappy and yearning for more. Yesterday, some friends were talking about marriage and nonchalantly mentioned that it's a no-brainer to get a prenuptial agreement. Then this morning, the radio DJs were talking about the soul mate concept, saying the idea is foolish and gives people false expectations that can never be met. This afternoon, I overheard a coworker talking about her parents marriage. She was saying how much they irritate each other and how they have only stayed married for convention's sake and for the kids. Additionally, I have a few friends whose marriages are falling apart, and I've also heard about some horrible divorces on the horizon of couples my age! Although I hear all of this going on, I still believe with all my heart that marriage is a beautiful, wonderful thing. For me, it's been the best thing that's ever happened to me. The greatest gift of my life.

I am so thankful for my parents, who taught me what goes into making a happy, lasting marriage. While it's easy to fall in love, staying in love takes a lot of hard work, selflessness, and patience. I believe that soul mates do exist, but probably not in the way that others may think. When you marry someone, you choose to love them unconditionally. You choose to be loyal, faithful, and true to them through both his ups and downs and yours. When things get hard or don't seem to be working, you don't give up but work through it. You help each other reach your true potential, by being one another's cheerleader, shoulder to cry on, and best friend. You become one another's soul mate by choosing to be the best that you can for each other.

I know I've only been married for almost three years, but I have learned more about myself and about love than at any other time in my life. My husband has been the best. He's loved me unconditionally each and every day of our marriage. Even when I am being a total pill and resisting his affection, he still showers me with love and compliments. Thank you, Sebastian, for being my best friend and eternal companion! I can only try to love him as perfectly as he has loved me.

Let's all be a little less selfish and give our spouses the love, respect, and admiration they deserve! Marriage rocks! Let's keep them alive and well!

7 comments:

McCracken said...

Amen!!! I agree 100%. My mom always told me marriage is what you put into it. She believes in date night too. I think too many people look at marriage as something that can be thrown away.

The Hanchetts said...

Jess-I also agree totally! I went from being an immature, selfish little girl to a mature woman who is loved and loves the man of my dreams!! He has taught me SO much and I agree that marriage lasts and is happy...it just takes the two parties to make it happen and to be selfless. You are so right!

Anonymous said...

Loved it Jess! You guys are great and we MISS YOU! Julie

Anonymous said...

You are a very wise young woman Jessica. Everything you said was correct. Marriage takes two selfless people willing to put their spouse's needs first. I'm so happy to know that you have such a great perspective after only two years. You are light years ahead of most of us. I know too many people who have divorced, remarried and divorced again. Our society seems to look at marriage as something that is disposable. It's a very sad state we are in.

Laura said...

You put it very beautifully. I agree with you it does take a lot of effort, but my years being married to Matt have been my best years ever.

Mariela said...

Marriage is wonderful! Clay is my best friend and he means everything to me. I am so grateful we are sealed together!

Celestine said...

Loved your insights on marriage, Jess! Thanks for sharing your thoughts and feelings on your blog.

There are times when your dad and/or I are tired and cranky, but the love we have for each other has only grown deeper over the years. You have to keep feeding and nurturing your relationship, or it can become mundane.

You and Sebastian are awesome, beautiful people on your own, but together you are so much more. Thank you for your sweet and loving example to the rest of us. I love you! Mom