| Hudson and Mama at Home (7/19/2011) |
For the past three years, I worked at Sandia National Labs
in the Partnerships Development and Business Intelligence department.
Specifically, I worked as a graphic/web designer on the Data Analysis,
Visualization, and Communications team.
I LOVED my job. I got to do what I love (design logos,
websites, brochures, and more!), spend time with amazing fun people (Hannah,
Shannon, Tyler, and more!), and learn really cool stuff (HTML, CSS, JQuery, and
more!).
I didn’t appreciate the opportunity to work, though, while
in the moment. It was much easier to complain about wanting to be home with
Hudson or needing more time to keep up our home than to look at all of the
positive blessings my family and I received from my work experience. And those
blessings are many.
The main reason I worked, of course, was to keep our family
financially afloat while Sebastian earned his law degree. I also worked to make
sure we were all covered with medical insurance. Luckily, I had an excellent
salary and benefits! What I didn’t expect to gain from my employment, though,
was a huge boost in my self-confidence and a better understanding of my divine
role as a wife and mother.
I was given many opportunities at work to prove that I was
competent and talented. When I didn’t perform well at something (like writing
news briefs), my manager had me work on them until I had mastered that skill
before I could move on. This helped me see that I could be excellent at things
even when they were out of my comfort zone. I was also able to work on many
projects that showcased my creative side, and I’ve gained a greater
appreciation for the talents God has blessed me with! Work also allowed me to
present in front of others and work as a team, helping me develop my social
skills and confidence.
I now know what it feels like to be working all day long and
to come home tired and exhausted. Many days, all I wanted to do was crash on
the couch, eat dinner, and veg out. I hope I remember those feelings, so I can
empathize with Sebastian when he comes home after a long day at the office. It
makes me want to be a great homemaker, so that Sebastian can come home and
enjoy the limited personal and family time he has. It gives me more motivation
to cook yummy dinners and keep a clean house, so that our home is a relaxing
refuge for Sebastian after a long day at work.
Being away from Hudson that first year has helped me cherish
the time I have with him. I know that there will always be dishes in the sink
to wash, laundry to put away, and floors to sweep, but Hudson will only be a
little boy for so long! I thought I’d get depressed and feel confined being at
home all day with him, but I feel just the opposite. It’s so wonderful to have
this special time together and to be able to watch him learn and grow. I’ve
just been home with him one week so far, and I have learned a lot about this
little man. He just started standing on his own, he just learned how to give
people hugs and kisses, and I’m starting to pick up on his baby language. It is
SO fun being a mother!
Seriously, I could go on and on. Work has done wonders for
me. Despite all of this, I am SUPER happy to be done for now! It’s time for me
to focus on a new chapter in my life: full-time motherhood! Woo hoo! Thank you,
Sebastian, for the opportunity you’ve given me to be a stay-at-home mama!
1 comment:
Hi Jessica! I always enjoy reading and looking at your blog postings. Every day that I don't see Hudson, I feel like I'm missing out on so much of his young life. He has certainly grown and changed over the short five months that I had him and since! I love you all!!
Post a Comment