No bath. No snack. No milk. No outside. No nap. No shoes on. No diaper change. No, no, no!Agggh! The weather took a turn for the worse on Sunday, so we've been stuck inside this week. Hudson's exhausted all of his toys (Mr. Potato Head, puzzles, cars, animals, people, balls, etc.), he's watched his favorite movie (The Goofy Movie), and we've read all of his library books (about 32 in all) - some multiple times. I feel like I'm going nuts. What are you supposed to do with a tired toddler who doesn't want to sleep?! I've just been letting him do his thing while I catch up on housework, but he's getting to a point where he's going bonkers. I feel like I'm his prison warden and that he'd rather be anywhere but with me!
It's this type of day that I feel like a failure of a mother. I've been so snappy with the poor little man and incredibly impatient. I put too many expectations on him, too, thinking he should be able to do more than he actually can. I expect him to stop whining when I say so. I want him to clean up his toys before he watches a movie. I want him to rest so I can rest, too. I really forget sometimes that just a stone's throw into the past, he was a helpless little baby! He still is a baby in many ways and I need to nurture and love him with all that I have and am.
Being a mom is certainly the hardest thing I've ever had to do, not necessarily because the tasks involved are difficult, but because it requires me to give up a part of myself to my child. Mothers give their time to their children. They have to let go of selfishness. They give up their peace of mind to continual worries over their children. Luckily, being a mom has given me so much more in return, though. Hudson has enlarged my heart and filled it with joy and love stronger than I have ever felt before.
Okay, woman - buck up! You can do this! No more raising your voice and be creative! Tally ho!
4 comments:
Oh, I sympathize! I definitely have days like that. I have 4 things that have made a huge difference:
1: the book Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child. Made all the difference. It's more than just opinions. It is based on sleep studies that show the time ranges its easiest for most kids to actually go to sleep. I can't survive without it!
2: the website: PlayAtHomeMom3.blogspot.com has very creative ideas!
3: my mom suggested I made a rice box and it is wonderful. Days when we can't go outside. I filled a long and not very deep storage container with a big bag of cheap Costco rice and we have a less messy sandbox alternative.
4: I got out of the habit of reading my scriptures but just started up again and it seems like I'm much more patient, tolerant, creative, and enjoy my kids more. And surprisingly, I've been seeing fewer tantrums because I am responding differently.
I sure love you and I know you are a great mom. Don't be hard on yourself!
I also understand! Being a mom is a very tough job. There's days esp lately that Audrey toys with the "2" stage (she turns 2 in may) and throws tempers after tempers. It's those days that I feel so bad that I also have no patience for her but that's just what happens being a mom. Those days just remember to take a deep breath and remember the sweet smiles and simple times that do come. There are also days that I put audrey in her bedroom and shut the door just so I can have "my time". She pulls all the close out, all her shoes, all her toys and anything else she can find and it frustrates me even more! I finally had to just accept it and then have her help me clean it up.
You are not at all an awful mother!! This is just the job. :)
Kristin had some great suggestions. Mother's are very good at trying to be "perfect" and expect a lot from ourselves but remember you are doing your best! And that's all that matters! Hudson looks and sounds happy and healthy and you are doing a great job.
I'm sorry! I hope having family in town was fun!
I have such a love/hate relationship with vacations now that I am a parent. I try to skip to our sleep schedule as much as possible though, but that can be hard to do. I hope you're all back on track now!
Post a Comment