Jan 3, 2013

Family Fun in San Antonio

We've had an insanely busy and fun December, full of family, friends, vacation, and sickness! Woo! Seb built up his vacation time over the past year and was able to take off the 21st thru New Years Day! It's been the greatest joy having him home. I'm certainly going to be a little depressed when he returns to work, and I know Hudson will be bummed, too. I love Seb so much and feel grateful and blessed to have such a sweet, fun, thoughtful husband and father!

Here are some highlights from our San Antonio vacation. My favorite part, I have to admit, was simply having Seb around. I love that man. But we did lots of fun things, too, and I especially LOVED spending time with the Dunlaps and Stoddards! Woo!

Thu 12/20
  • We left town in the evening and planned to find a hotel in the middle of the night. When we arrived in Fort Stockton, Texas around 1:30am, Seb went from inn to inn in search of an open motel room. Unfortunately (and in the true Christmas spirit), there was no room for Seb and his pregnant wife at any inn. 
  • We ended up trying to sleep, cramped in our car in a Walmart parking lot. After an hour or so of tossing and turning, Seb rage drove through the night, and we made it to our destination early the next morning instead of the afternoon! Surprise, Noah and Laura! We're here!!!
Fri 12/21
  • It was a treat to tour Noah and Laura's brand-new home. It's bright, spacious, and beautiful. They have it decorated so cute. We got to stay in Esther's suite. 
  • Mama and Papa Dunlap and Josh and Sethrina were supposed to arrive that morning, but Mama D was sick and wanted to rest another day before coming into town. 
  • Seb rested for most of the day, since he had been up all night, while I spent the morning with Laura, Noah, Esther, and Hudson. 
  • First, they showed us this awesome Texas-sized store called Bass Pro Shop. It was full of stuffed animals (real ones), a merry-go-round, a waterfall with real fish in it, and Santa's wonderland! 
  • Later that day, we took a walk through their neighborhood. We visited a nearby park and let the cousins play. 
  • That night, we had homemade macaroni and cheese. Yum! AND - some of the best oatmeal chocolate chip cookies I've ever had. Oh my, Laura, you know how to spoil us!
Above: Observing Santa Claus (Hudson's head is by the corner of the train tracks)
Below: Hudson racks himself big time (j/k) and Esther does the monkey bars

Sat 12/22
  • Since the rest of the family hadn't arrived yet, we had to come up with alternative plans for the day. We decided to go to Sea World! What a blast! I really enjoyed experiencing everything through Hudson's eyes. We were able to feed and pet the dolphins, watch a beluga whale version of "The Nutcracker," and see Shamu pull some awesome tricks! Hudson's favorite part of the park was probably the penguins! He started laughing uncontrollably as he watched them waddle like little men in tuxedos. 
  • While we were at Sea World, the rest of the family arrived at Noah and Laura's. We rushed home to greet them!
  • A big package arrived for the whole family from Aunt Nancy and Uncle Trent. It was one of those boxes of gourmet fruits, candies, nuts, cheese, and crackers! It sustained us for the afternoon as we sat around and chatted. Thank you!!!
  • I joined Seb and Noah at a local grocery store called HEB (it was freaking huge!) and bought some stocking stuffers. 
  • Laura made yummy manicotti and salad for dinner. She is the best cook!
Sun 12/23
  • We attended sacrament meeting together as a family and basically wrangled the kids the whole time in the very back row. So fun to be parents of toddlers!
  • After church, I worked on Christmas cards while some of the guys (and the kids) played bocci ball in the backyard. 
  • We had a surprise visit from Seb's Aunt Mary Jo and Uncle Bob. They are the kindest people! They brought Esther and Hudson gifts (Huddy got an adorable white tiger, a drawing pad, and crayons). We spent a couple hours catching up with them. 
  • That evening, Laura made delicious turkey chili and cornbread. Oh man was it good. It went fast!
  • That evening, we had FHE. We all wrote our testimonies about Christ and our feelings about Christmas and put them up on the Christmas tree in white envelopes to read on Christmas day. 


Mon 12/24
  • It was crazy how quick Christmas Eve rolled around. Everyone wanted to get out of the house (after spending Sunday indoors) so we went to La Cantera - a huge outdoor mall. We had lunch at The Cheesecake Factory (a Dunlap family favorite) and were seated outside in a comfortable booth. Seb and I did some shopping after lunch and bought a few last minute presents. 
  • That evening, I helped Laura pull together a delicious Christmas Eve feast! She made ham, potato casserole, and salad. Delish! She also made wassail that sat out on the counter for us to delight in whenever we pleased!
  • One of the highlights of the trip for me was making Christmas sugar cookies with Hudson, Esther, Seb, Laura, and Noah. Hudson LOVED squishing the dough in his fingers and cutting out little Christmas trees, angels, and stars. We decorated a special cookie for Santa, too. It was quite a mess (Hudson dumped an entire bottle of sugar sprinkles on the table) but well worth the fun. By the way, Laura, that was the best sugar cookie and frosting recipe alive. I NEED a copy!
  • Later that evening, we had a family talent show. We are quite the talented bunch. Josh made Sethrina disappear. The Stoddards also stumped us with wild trivia. Noah and Laura read each others minds. Seb and I lead the group in a chorus of "Christmas Bells are Ringing." And Mama and Papa Dunlap wowed us with a hilarious Christmas duet. 
  • We had a white elephant gift exchange - I must say, I was pretty happy with our loot. We ended up with a Winnie the Pooh blanket and a crystal Hershey Kiss dish. 
  • Everyone watched White Christmas, then setup "Christmas" - presents were put out and stockings filled. 


Sitting around during the White Elephant gift exchange
New winter jammies from Auntie Laura!

Making cookies for Santa
I'm trying to piece together the mangled cookies Hudson made!
Mmm! These are good!
Tue 12/25
  • We awoke SUUUPER early to the sound of Santa saying "Ho, ho, ho! Merry Christmas!" It was quite magical (and hilarious). It was so early, though, that Hudson was dead asleep. I couldn't get him to wake up for the life of me! 
  • It was so fun coming downstairs and seeing the huge haul Santa had left us! We immediately started in on the stockings and presents! 
  • Seb bought me a gorgeous leather navy purse. I LOVE it! He has the best taste! I finished up Seb's 12 Days of Christmas with 12 pre-planned dates. I also got him one of his favorite games, Bang. 
  • Sethrina, my Secret Santa, got me the cutest navy Keen shoes and a cute yellow toggle coat. I love them both! She knows me! Seb's Secret Santa (it was either Noah or Laura) got him tons of really great tools! 
  • Mama and Papa D always spoil us with lots of great gifts! Among them, Hudson got a GIANT Mickey Mouse; Tramp (from Lady and the Tramp); a Snowman movie; a set of knights, a wizard, and King Arthur; a coloring book and markers; some Bill Peet books; and more I am sure! It was overwhelming! They got me some cute jewelry and Seb tons of items from his Amazon wishlist: The Sword in the Stone, a Mariner's hat, a vintage Michael Jordan poster, and money to go towards a baseball glove! I'm sure there are presents I am missing ... 
  • Some things we got Hudson include a baby album, Toy Story, some Toy Story figurines, and a big wheel bike! He also got a Spiderman lego set from Noah and Laura and the most adorable homemade blocks from Auntie Sethrina. 
  • Aunt Keri also spoils us each year with thoughtful gifts. I got a stationary set, Hudson got The Wizard of Oz book and a Toto dog, and Seb got some BBQing gear. 
  • After opening loads of gifts, we tried going on a walk to the park (I really wanted to see Hudson try out his new bike). Unfortunately, it was freezing cold and windy. It was a short-lived attempt, and Hudson's bike turned out being too big. 
  • That evening, Noah and Laura and Papa D babysat so the rest of us could go see Les Miserables. Oh my Heavens - that movie is incredible. I have gained a whole new respect for Anne Hathaway. I highly recommend it to everyone! 
  • Huddy had fun while we were gone, doing play dough with his cousin and grandpa, chasing his cousin around, showing off for his great aunt and uncle on Skype, and getting put to sleep by both Grandpa and Laura. Thanks for the fun date night, you guys!!!
Way too tired for Christmas!

Noah enjoying his role as gift doler


The giant Mickeys were a hit!
A great gift moment: a new sewing machine!
Play dough with Grandpa!

Wed 12/26
  • On Wednesday morning, everyone got glammed up in matching frocks and headed out to some gorgeous Japanese gardens for family portraits. 
  • Afterwards, we headed to the beautiful river walk. That is something I am certainly jealous of - I wish Albuquerque had one, but unfortunately, I don't think it would be nearly as cool on the muddy, shallow Rio Grande. 
  • We had lunch at one of our favorite Mexican restaurants that sits right on the river. 
  • Then, we took a riverboat tour - something we highly recommend as well! It is such a blast for old and young alike - I especially liked the fact that you just get to sit and do nothing for 1/2 an hour or so. I'd been feeling very run down, sick, and full of Braxton Hicks contractions for much of the trip, so any opportunity to veg was number one in my book! Hudson loved going under the bridges the best!
  • Afterwards, part of the group went to see the Alamo. Seb showed me a cool little shop on the way that sells little historical figurines. His Mama surprised him with a tiny Davy Crockett! I skipped out on the Alamo and slept in a nearby hotel lobby. Ha ha. 
  • After a very busy day, we ended the evening packing our bags, playing games, and watching movies.


On the riverboat
Thu 12/27
  • Thursday really began a second leg of our journey - road-tripping with the in-laws! We had a wonderful time despite being cramped in our tiny car, stuffed with way too many bags and opened Christmas presents (including, folks, that giant Mickey! It was a miracle he fit!).
  • In the car, we watched movies, talked, listened to music, Grandma and Grandpa entertained the Huddyman, and we snacked our faced off!
  • When we got to our hotel, my sweet Seb ran to the grocery store and picked up some evening treats for everyone - bread and PB to make sandwiches, fruit and cream oatmeal, orange-pineapple juice, milk - oh, he is the best! 
  • We took a quick dip in the hot tub (yes, even the pregnant woman and toddler) and then watched Housesitter and munched on our goodies. 
Fri 12/28
  • We started the day by going to Carlsbad Caverns. For anyone who hasn't beent here, it is quite spectacular. One of my favorite parts is the very beginning descent when you drop down into the cave and the daylight gradually disappears. The rock formations are other-worldly. 
  • Seb drove our little family home after the caves - what a trooper - so much driving for that poor man!
  • It was really fun giving Mama and Papa D a tour of our home. It's definitely our favorite home we've lived in so far, so we were glad they had the opportunity to stay with us there. 
  • I quickly pulled together some chili (it was a miracle I had everything I needed!), and we had a really nice, late dinner together. 
Twinners! Ready to enter the caves!
Isn't Seb a hunk?
Sat 12/29
  • We really took it easy and slept in late each morning Mama and Papa D were over! So relaxing.
  • In the morning, I quickly put together the January RS newsletter (one of my new callings!). 
  • We went to Costco when everyone was up and dressed to purchase some groceries (since we were out of almost everything). 
  • Then, we tried having lunch at this little dive called Ezra's Place, but Hudson wouldn't have it! He threw the biggest tantrum when we walked in saying: "This isn't right! I don't like this place!" 
  • We skipped lunch and just went bowling instead. The women ruled the day with the highest scores. Mama D definitely took home the gold, getting a 99 on her first game. 
  • Hudson napped when we went home, and I took the opportunity to write my talk for church that I had to give the following day (so cruel, don't you think!?!). 
  • That evening, my parents had us over for the most delicious, wonderful meal you could ever imagine: Chicken Marsala; baked smashed potatoes; salad, bacon and green beans; strawberries and pineapple; and a heavenly dessert called apple, pear, cherry crumble. Oh my! Mom, you are the BEST!!! 
  • After eating, we did a small present exchange downstairs. We made it a short night, though, since I was feeling terrible, and headed home earlier than I normally would have liked. 
  • That night, I woke up at 3am. I was too congested to sleep, I was having nightmares that my water broke at the pulpit, and I ended up completely rewriting my talk in the wee hours of the morning. What a psycho!
Sun 12/30
  • Seb prepared his talk in the morning while I made German pancakes for everyone and got Hudson ready for church. 
  • I spoke on Regrets and Resolutions (Dieter Uchtdorf's wonderful talk from this past conference) and Seb spoke on Forgiveness. 
  • We left church early to relax and watch movies together. I made some chicken tortilla soup and cheese bread for a late lunch/early dinner. 
This little man drives me crazy, but I gotta love him! Look at that face!
Mon 12/31
  • Hudson woke us up shouting that it had snowed! I didn't believe him, but it was true! The front yard was covered with a thin layer of snow. Seb and Hudson played out in the snow for a little bit. 
  • We went to the zoo together (so cold!) and the animals were very active!
  • That night, we had a smorgasbord New Years Eve feast at my parent's home! Mom - you are incredible! The Sorenson's and Sam and Kiley joined us, and we had a blast playing Guesstures and Mafia. 
  • The next morning, Mama and Papa D headed out early to catch their flight. 
Perhaps this post was way too long - sorry. I just wanted to capture all of the details for my awful memory. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!!! Let's make 2013 even better than 2012!!

No comments: