Sep 1, 2015

Hudson's FIVE!

Hudson is a smart, goofy, tender-hearted guy with a great sense of humor. I love his wavy blonde hair (we tell him Rumplestiltskin spun it into gold), his beautiful smile, and his twinkly eyes. He loves bugs (and will capture any moving creature with his bare hands), Ninja Turtles toys, and watching cartoons (these days the #1 pick is Phineas and Ferb). He's started reading (thanks to "Red Grandma") and he's doing very well on all of his getting ready skills (picking out his clothes, getting dressed, brushing his teeth, using the toilet, etc). I really love the independence he's developing; he can get himself into the car and buckled, he loves filling up everyone's water cups at meal time, and he's a great big brother to Beau and Hannah. 

Hudson is LOOOOOOOOOOVING kindergarten and comes home completely pooped every day. After his first day of school, I asked what the best and worst parts of his day were. He replied: "Everything was the best! And nothing was the worst!" What a relief to his poor mother's ears, who spent the evening before his first day of school crying uncontrollably! The tears really started to flow when I was packing Hudson's Ninja Turtle lunchbox and I realized he wouldn't be eating lunch with us anymore. The breakfast nook was going to be so empty. Beau would be losing his best friend and playmate. Would Hudson be able to wipe his little bum? Would kids be nice to him? The worries and concerns flowed along with the tears. I couldn't stop crying as I put a little love note into his lunch and had to hide in the laundry room to really let it all out. It was cathartic!

I was okay the day we dropped him off, until I was helping him hang up his backpack and put his lunch into the classroom refrigerator. I couldn't look at Hudson without welling up, so I got out of their as quickly as I could. When I picked him up that afternoon he was BEAMING! His teacher is so nice, he loves eating in the cafeteria and going to recess, and he is in awe of his art teacher who created a lizard out of modeling clay! I've been especially blessed by having a friend offer to bring Hudson home each day. It's made it so easy for me to keep my little ones on a good nap schedule. I can't thank her enough! 

School's been wonderful so far, but poor Beau is having a hard time adjusting to all the changes at home. He really loves and misses his best buddy - throughout the day, he'll set aside toys for Hudson to play with, save him a seat, get him a glass of water ... and I have to remind him that Hudson won't be home until after his afternoon nap. Beau's been acting very unsure of himself lately, speaking in "baby talk" and grunts and deciding he doesn't want to potty train anymore. And he's acting very shy at this year's playgroup. To top it off, Hudson's attitude towards his little bro hasn't been the nicest since he started school. I think he's just too tired to "deal" with Beau when he gets home. Today, he plugged his ears when Beau was talking telling him "I don't care," he punched him and pinched him, and has been doing a lot of eye rolling. He's also picked up the word "Dude" and a little bit of an "I'm too cool for you" attitude that we're trying to nip in the bud! It's crazy how early that sort of thing starts! 

Anywho - we celebrated Hudson's birthday with a TMNT party that started with a scavenger hunt and ended with everyone destroying a "Shredder" pinata. We ended the party with pizza and cupcakes and ice cream, then present time. 

(8/15/2015) The first clue! 
What's in this package??

Ninja Turtle headbands for everyone!

Tyler's Donatello

Another clue leads them to their party bags!

This clue takes them to the bathroom where they get goodies for their bags

Now it's time to find their weapons!

They've located Donatello's bo staff!

It's time to defeat shredder!

Get him, boys!

Stab him, Raph!

Cute Beau puts in a good faith effort

Uncle Sam climbs our tree to make sure Shredder's tied to a strong branch

Hudson's favorite pal from preschool

This pinata is made from two balloons, some flour and water and newspaper, paint, party streamers, and duct tape

Get him!

I sure love pinatas!

Ready for some action!

Two on one

So much fun!

I love how much fun everyone's having - especially Seb!

Love this cute boy!

My best friend!

Beau looks a little timid!

Having a good time with his boys

Love that smile on Joey

So glad the Scarberrys could join us!

Beau's having too much fun

Shredder Sam

Cupcake time!

Blow 'em out, buddy!

Ready for some sugar!

Hudson sure loves his Grandma

Spiderman in the house

The nursing mama

Another new mama!

My only shot of Hannah - see her bum?

Hudson's first day of school outfit

The captivated audience

Cutie pie Elise
... On to the "First Day of School" pictures! ...

First day of Kindergarten at Chamiza Elementary school in Ms. Brudos's class

So excited and nervous!

Goodbye baby brother, hello world!

Hudson's friend who's wonderful mother (right) is picking him up for me every day! What a saint!

Don't cry, Jess!

Sweet daddy came to see his boy off!




1 comment:

Celestine said...

Jessica, I sure love your blog postings. I can feel your spirit and hear your words as you write them. Our precious grandchildren are growing up so fast! You are an incredible young mother, and I admire you so much. Hang in there with the schedule changes and other demands on your time and energy. I love you!