May 12, 2019

God's Ever Loving Presence

I've been looking at houses a lot the past couple months. In February, my parents almost bought a house on this side of town. I was so excited and really couldn't believe it. When they pulled their offer off the table, my mom suggested we try to move to their side of town. Better schools, closer to my folks, prettier neighborhoods ... sounded like a good idea to me! I spent hours scouring Zillow for new listings and even went out with a realtor several times to look at potential buys. 

The moving bug wasn't new, though. When I got pregnant with Sofia, I spent lots of time looking at houses thinking we'd probably want more space with our newest addition. As much as I love our home, I felt like the boys room was too tiny, the neighborhood run down, and the schools weren't the best. I didn't see us living here forever. 

I got my hopes up a few times and my hopes dashed just as many! There was the "Surrey" home just 5 minutes from my parent's neighborhood with the cool basement, enormous master bathroom, and spacious upstairs loft. There was the intriguing fixer-upper with so much potential just around the block from our current home. And then, of course, the very unrealistic Spanish mansion in Tanoan with the dramatic winding staircase. I'd feel like the wife of a drug lord in that one! It was amazing. 

And then came the house of my dreams! Just a few minutes from our current home, this one (we'll call the "Resort House") seemed just perfect. This house was gorgeous. It had light granite countertops, a huge island, a big office for Sebastian within the master suite. It had a second master suite upstairs for the boys to share. A bedroom for each girl connected by a jack-and-jill bathroom. It had a separate guest room, built in speakers throughout the house, a big RV parking space that would make the perfect bike riding spot or basketball court. It was situated on a cul-de-sac and there was a weeping willow in the front yard. Oh, and did I mention the saltwater pool with a water-fall fountain, the hot tub, the firepits (yes, that's pits with an "s"), the safe kids yard separate from the pool yard. Oh. My. Gosh. I'm drooling just thinking of the house ...

Anyways, moving on, I took Seb to see the dream house and we both fell in love. BOTH of us! Not just me twisting his arm to come look at something he neither wanted or needed. We both loved it! 

And here comes the interesting part of the story. As we drove home from the dream house, we parked in our driveway. I stepped out of the car and looked at our sweet, little home. God spoke to me in that very moment. I had a clear impression come upon me that said without words: "This is your home. And it's wonderful. And you are where you're supposed to be."

Despite that experience, we put an offer on the house anyways! Ha ha - talk about not listening to the Spirit. The offer - surprise, surprise - was rejected and we didn't get the house. But you know what? I was totally okay with it. I think God gave me that special moment to help me be at peace with how everything turned out and to draw the house hunt to a close for now. It was fun and frustrating while it lasted. I didn't end up getting a new home, but I did end up with something greater. I came away with the clear understanding that God's hand is and has been there in all things. 

2 comments:

Celestine said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Celestine said...

How I love you Jessica! Listening to that "still, small voice" and sometimes LOUD voice--is so important for each of us, and that's what personal revelation is all about! You are such a great example to me, and it makes me so happy that you are recognizing the Spirit's influence in your life. I hope and pray that our grandchildren will also learn to recognize and to heed those spiritual promptings.