Feb 5, 2021

He lifts us up

Today was a hard day. I must have woken up on the wrong side of the bed because everything was getting under my skin. The day came to a head when I learned that Hudson hadn't been honest with me about completing his schoolwork. His teacher called to check in, and I ended up in tears feeling very overwhelmed at the task of instilling self-motivation and trustworthiness in my boy. 

I was hard on him and he was extremely upset. I sat with him to get started on a pile of school work that he did not do that week. First was an essay on the Underground Railroad. Hudson was very annoyed at all of my efforts to help and extremely tired of being at the computer all day. He gave up and said he would rather just go to bed. Mind you, it was only 5 or 6 p.m. He stormed away and I was in turmoil over what to do about him. I went upstairs and said a silent prayer for him as I worked on school with Beau. 

A little while later, I came back downstairs and Hudson was typing away at the computer. I sat down beside him and started working on something on the other screen. He turned to me, extremely excited about what he was writing. He had remembered about a famous slave who escaped by being sent through the mail - Henry "Box" Brown. He wrote a good two paragraphs without any assistance, and they were very thoughtfully composed. He had a glow about him. A happiness in his eyes and peace radiating from him. It was a very distinct and noticeable change to his countenance. I asked him, "Hudson, what happened to you in your room? Something has changed about you."

"I said a prayer," he answered. He related that he had thrown himself on his bed in despair and decided to pray. He tried getting back up to work, but was still feeling down. Then he picked himself up and felt like he needed to finish his work. He came out with such a changed attitude. It was a tiny miracle. I'm so grateful for a Father in Heaven who is in the details of our lives. And for children who know they can go to Him for help. 

1 comment:

Celestine said...

Jess, I LOVE that personal experience that Hudson had! Now if he could only pray like that EVERY day before tackling his school work--haha!