This year's flown by like the rest. That has been the running theme of this life of ours. The kids have been growing quickly (especially Hudson - I think he's just about 6 feet tall now!) and we try to squeeze in family together time as much as we can.
My Wonderful Mother
I was looking at my calendar and was blown away by how much my mom helped us this year. She pushed me to get house projects done before school started (she painted my kids bedrooms and fixed our broken blinds). She picked up my kids from school many days and took them on fun outings so I could squeeze in extra homework and not feel guilty about ignoring my children. She took my kids to their dentist appointments (and broke the news of their insane number of cavities ... like 15 or something crazy!) and drove the boys to their life guarding class over spring break and the younger kids to vacation bible school during the summer. I am so lucky to live near such a saint of a mother! And don't get me started on all the delicious meals she's shared with us this year - she is the best cook we know!
Grandma's Cancer
This summer my grandma's stomach cancer progressed to a point that is really beyond fixing. It's alleviating symptoms that is the priority now. Hudson wanted to hang with a friend at Skidmore's bowling alley one day, which is way over by my grandma's house. I decided to check in on my grandma since I was so close, and it turned out that an ambulance had taken her just minutes before to the emergency room. She had been vomiting blood. She ended up needed a couple blood transfusions due to all the blood loss. I was able to meet up with my aunt Jacquie and Uncle Terry and stay with them for a few hours in the ER. It was providential that I was in the area right when it all happened. I'm glad I could be there to keep Jacquie company while she worried over her mom.
We all thought we were going to lose my grandma, so family came in from out of state to say their goodbyes. To our surprise, grandma survived! She ended up going through a round of radiation to help control the bleeding and is now taking marijuana pills to give her an appetite. My aunt Jacquie has been incredible in caring for her, making sure she is eating all the right things to keep her healthy.
Amazing In-Laws
Sebastian and I took a trip to D.C. at the end of the summer and my in-laws were so incredible. They flew down from Seattle and took the reins at our home during one of the busiest weeks of the year - the first week of school! To top it off, Hudson was starting his FIRST day of high school, Beau his FIRST day of middle school, we had 2 new bus schedules to figure out, and it was Hudson's birthday as well! They went to meet the teacher day at the girls' elementary school and navigated all the craziness of the kids drop off, pickup schedules that I wasn't even familiar with yet! AND they took the kids to football and cheer and even helped with the cheer dinner which we were in charge of that week! Oh my gosh - we definitely owe those two! They always take such great care of the kiddos. Mama Dunlap started the girls on the Book of Mormon reader in the mornings and I was so grateful to her for doing that - I've kept the tradition up. It's been great! They also made the kids omelets every morning and I've tried making them for the kids now as often as they want them. Papa D shared with me a trick that's helped mine taste a little more like his (turn the heat off once you flip it!)
1 comment:
You had a super busy school year, Jess! I'm so glad I was able to help lighten the load with the kids. I'm here for you anytime (unless I'm out of town)! You do such a great job documenting your family's celebrations and events. Even though we miss a lot of your family's activities, Dad and love being a part of them whenever possible! Here's to another successful school year for you!
Post a Comment