Sep 6, 2007

Our Romantic Getaway

Did you know that many New Yorkers have never visited the Statue of Liberty? Sebastian and I decided we didn't want to miss out on the beauties in our own backyard (especially since this is our last year at BYU), so we packed our bags for an exotic tour of Salt Lake City! Here are some of the highlights of our getaway...

Sebastian and I rode a bus from Provo to SLC. It was nice being able to cuddle and just enjoy the ride. Although, the bus ride home took 2 1/2 hours while it usually takes us 45 minutes to drive!

Cool umbrella trees besides the temple.

Here is our wedding day shot at the temple doorsteps. It was tempting to bring my wedding dress so we could take some fun pictures...but that would have been too bulky for the bus.

Dang, this temple is so pretty!
Aren't the flowers gorgeous? I couldn't help but think of Grandma Hobbs when looking at all of the colorful flowers. Her yard always looks so pretty.


Seb and I took a tour of temple square. The sister missionaries shared with us some cool trivia. Did you know that all of the seats in the tabernacle were hand-painted by the pioneers?? (I think the benches were actually pine, but painted to look like oak.) So so crazy. That must have taken FOR-EH-VER!

Seb and I stayed in a Marriot in downtown SLC. We had fun going out to eat, watching The Bourne Ultimatum, touring the Beehive House, and swimming in the hotel's indoor-outdoor pool.

Oh! And the morning before going to SLC, Seb and I rafted down the Provo river. It was fun, but uneventful. The water is pretty calm and relaxing. There is a company that charges $10 for a tube and a ride up the canyon and a life jacket. Great cheap date idea, eh?

8 comments:

Celestine said...

Oh my gosh Jess, I LOVED all your photos and narrative! My favorite pictures are the one of you and Seb in front of the S.L. Temple with the flowers behind you and the one of you and Seb in front of the Albuquerque Temple.

Your trip sounded like fun (except for the extended ride home). I'm glad you were able to get away from the stress of work and school for a few days.

We love you both so much! Mom

Angela said...

That sounds like fun guys. I'm glad you two love-birds had a great time. Maybe we can meet up sometime in SL. That would be cool.

Mike said...

Rafting! I want to go too! I hope Seb was able to take a dip in the river! I just got back from wood badge. I was in the Eagle patrol!

Mariela said...

That is a great idea. Clay and I are boring but we need to make the most of what is in our own backyard too!

Travis said...

That's awesome that you guys are experiencing so much. We have always regretted never making it south to see Zion's National Park or anything before we moved away.

Tubing the Provo River sounds like a blast too. Nice!

Melanie said...

Yeah, we only had a year at BYU before we moved and I'm so bummed we didn't do more stuff in the south too. We hit a bunch of the temples though. Great job guys!

Have you guys been to IKEA yet?

Jessica Dunlap said...

Oh my gosh--YES, melanie! We went to IKEA the other night and I LOVED it!!! I loved walking through the little house setups. And the $1 hotdogs were a tasty treat too.

Dan said...

did you buy any of those great cookies? hum i feel a trip coming on