Oct 25, 2008

Star Struck


On Saturday afternoon, my mom and I were doing some Christmas shopping at an outdoor mall. As we exited Eddie Bauer, a big group of Asian guys scurried past us. With their sunglasses and cameras in tote, I thought, "Tourists! How cute." I watched them file past me, but then I recognized one in the middle - "Oh my gosh! That's Jackie Chan!"

"Jackie Chan?" My mom said incredulously. "Why are you calling those Asian men Jackie Chan?" She scanned the crowd then saw his face. "It is him!"

My mom handed me her cell phone, and I fiddled around trying to find the picture mode. "Blast! I can't get it to work! I hate technology!" My mom and I walked towards our car, passing by Jackie's entourage as well as my one and only chance to get a picture of the international superstar. Then, the phone switched to picture mode. Yes!

I hurried back to Eddie Bauer to find Jackie, and as I turned the corner, his entire group was heading straight towards me - with Jackie Chan front and center. I walked straight up to him, and the group stopped. There I was, standing two feet from Jackie Chan! What should I say? "Do you understand the words that are coming out of my mouth?" I said.

Okay, I didn't actually say that. Nor did I invite him for dinner, like I thought about after the fact. Instead, I politely asked, "I know people probably ask you this all the time, but can I get my taken picture with you?"

He pulled his sunglasses off, smiled, and hesitated. Someone from his posse piped up, "We really don't want to draw a crowd." I hadn't noticed before, but no one else had really noticed Jackie yet since he was traveling with a dozen other dark-haired Asian men. "Oh . . ."

Then Jackie said, "Yeah, we can do this - but we need to hide." Jackie and his crew ushered me a few feet away into a more secluded corner. He put his arm around me, I put mine around him, he adjusted his sunglasses a few times, and we posed for the camera. One of his friends took a picture with my phone, and another of his friends took a picture with his camera.

Then, everyone silently dispersed: Jackie Chan and his crew headed to the Elephant Bar and Grille for lunch; I walked to my mom's car, completely star struck. It really is a small world, isn't it?

12 comments:

Mike said...

Jackie Chan! Next time you invite that man to dinner! Also, maybe he could use me as a co-star!

Shar said...

you're brave for asking! i would probably just look and be too embarrassed to ask. Way to go!

Amy said...

AWESOME! I love martial artists. Also, I bet his entourage was counting on the whole "all Asians look alike to white people" thing. No such luck for them!

Angela said...

AWESOME!! We need to move to Albuqurque so we can meet famous people. I so would have kissed him on the cheek. I love Jackie Chan.

Anonymous said...

Wow Jess, Thats fun! What a nice guy. He could have said No. I'm so glad you got the pic!

Mariela said...

Yah, glad you have a new post. An exciting one too! I never would have noticed! Hope you guys are doing well! Thanks for having us at the Halloween party!

Kristin said...

That's so awesome. Even Brandon was excited when I read him that post. We are both such fans! Hope things are going well for you!

Krista said...

Woohoo! Way to go, Jess! I'm so jealous. Brian said it was totally not fair that he wasn't there!

Hill Family said...

That's amazing, how cool to meet Mr. Chan! I found you of Kristin's blog when she found me:) Blog world is so fun! Love ya Ashley (Delphenich) Hill:)

Sarah and Jeremy said...

Hey Jessica! I'm so glad you found my blog! It is great to get caught up on your live!!! congrats on being married, gratuating from college, getting a new job and a new car! Wow that is all so awesome! So it looks like you and your hubby are living in Albuquerque? I'll be down there this Saturday 15th - 19th. I'm coming down to say goodbye before we move to Singapore. You're welcome to stop by for food and fun! Let me know. Keep in touch, I'll add your blog to my friends and fam. :) thanks
Sarah

The Breakwell Family said...

Crazy. How cool! Jackie Chan is great. Hope you guys are doing well!

Cheryl Johnson said...

Hey Hobbes! Just catching up on your old blogs and DANG GINA!!! You met Jackie Chan!!! Next time I see you can I touch the hand that touched the hand?