Sep 21, 2014

The magic fun bag!

I had been having a really tough summer with my boys. Hudson whines a lot (and I mean A LOT - he is relentless!) and Beau never listens (like ever!). On top of those frustrations, we stayed pretty cooped up all summer and I really didn't have a good schedule down. And boy do I need structure! I thrive on it! So one day, Seb sat down with me and helped me plan out a simple but fun daily routine. It goes like this:

  • Wake up
  • 15+ minutes of reading 
  • Playtime to music while mom fixes breakfast (the music really elevates my mood!)
  • Dressed, teeth, hair, and sometimes bath
  • MYSTERY BAG!
  • Lunch + crockpot/dinner prep
  • 12:30-3:30pm - Beau naps, Hudson's in preschool OR Hudson has 1/2 quiet + 1/2 ABCs and 123s
  • Snack
  • ADVENTURE BAG!

We put together a "Mystery Bag" for the mornings and an "Adventure Bag" for the afternoon. Hudson and Beau take turns drawing an activity out of the bags. The morning mystery bag has indoor activities like making popsicles and play dough while the afternoon adventure bag has active activities that will get us outside and moving. That bag has different outings (like going to the river bank) or fun outside activities (like sidewalk chalk and bubbles).

So far, it's been so much fun and helpful to have our day loosely planned out - especially for those days when there's absolutely nothing to do!

Family selfies! (8/2014)

Love that squishy baby!

Excited!

Surprised!

Scared!

Sleepy after church!

Poor baby!

My shoe lover (7/17/14)

And hat lover!

Love this tiny boy

Daddy's shoes!

Sweet baby!

Popsicles in the tub! (7/24/14)

The perfect place to eat popsicles and suckers :)

Cartoons! (8/5/14)

We had friends over for lunch one afternoon - it was so fun! (8/8/14)

Hudson pulled "Play-dough" out of the Mystery Bag (8/12/14)

He loves making "hair" with my garlic press

Cute matching aprons from Mama D

So much fun!

Doesn't he look so tiny in that apron?

Cute little body!

3 comments:

Hilary and Eric said...

What a fun idea! I'll have to try my own fun bag. PS-I always love when I get to see Henry on the blog!

Celestine said...

Love those adorable pictures (boys!) and your great ideas ;-). What a wonderful family you are blessed with! Always remember that, especially when you get discouraged or stressed out!

Haley said...

Awesome idea!! Such cute boys!!