 |
| Beau roasting on the riverwalk boat ride |
 |
| Sick Hudson was a very good sport! |
 |
| What you're not seeing is the suffocating humidity! Ugh! |
 |
| Sweet and sweaty baby girl |
 |
| I love this boat ride! |
 |
| Our wonderful hosts! |
 |
| Laura's sweetie pie brother, Dan |
 |
| When is the food going to arrive?! |
 |
| Cutie Esther! |
 |
| Love my babies! |
I should have read the signs more closely. Everything was telling me it wasn't a good idea to go. But we did it. We went to San Antonio for Memorial Day weekend. And I may live to regret it for the rest of my life. Okay - I'm being completely dramatic here. But boy oh boy was it a weekend to remember (and not in a good way!)
On a whim, Sebastian and I decided to visit his brother's family in San Antonio. I spent a few long days getting ready for the road trip doing laundry, packing bags, cleaning out the van, clearing out the refrigerator, preparing Chex mix and cookies for the road, buying "prizes" to get the kids through the long car trip, closing up my Etsy shop. You know the exhausting drill! Vacations are fun once they get started, but the lead up can almost make you not want to go!
Morning of the trip arrives and Hudson wakes up pooping the bed! What the heck! Explosive diarrhea and long car trips just don't jive. I ignore it, though, until a few hours later he throws up in the living room (two teeny tiny specks) and then runs to the bathroom to finish it up. Hmm ... what does this mean?!?!
When Seb arrived home from a meeting a few hours later, we were supposed to be loaded up and ready to leave. We talked it over, called Noah's family to get their thoughts, and decided one sick little guy wasn't reason enough not to go. Boy was I ever wrong.
Poor Hudson was so groggy the entire car ride. The miserable little guy fell fast asleep. While we were on the freeway, Hudson jolted from his sleep with an overwhelming need to go pee. There was no place to pull over, so I frantically grabbed a water bottle, dumped the contents out, and told him to pee in it. He placed the bottle upright over his business and started to go. The pee immediately drizzled all over him, so I yanked the bottle down to help the pee flow in the right direction, accidentally causing a corked hose effect - the urine sprayed all over the backseat of the car, our luggage, blankets and pillows, the library books, Hudson, and my dress. Oh well.
We arrived in San Antonio in the wee hours of the morning and sweet Noah showed us to our room and got us all set up. The next morning, Laura made us delicious overnight french toast (need to get the recipe) but I had a funny feeling in my gut. The food was so good, though, that I ate without regard. We spent a wonderful morning swimming in the neighborhood pool (I adored my time with Esther) followed by delicious roast beef and turkey croissant sandwiches for lunch. That evening, we took the kiddos on a boat ride at the river walk. The humidity was intense. The kids looked fried on the boat and everyone just wanted it to be over! Looking back, I feel so bad for sick Hudson. He must have been feeling just awful! We got ice cream then ate at the Rainforest Cafe - I had a huge plate of fajitas, again - despite that funny feeling in my gut.
That night it happened. The bug hit me like there was no tomorrow. I got the worst case of the runs and vomiting that I can remember! I spent the entire night in the bathroom, staring at the floor. And the hilarious bit is that I forgot to pack any underwear. That night, I was wearing Seb's second to last pair - I know - this is getting to be humiliating. But it gets better. I did it - I didn't make it to the toilet in time and messed in Seb's underwear! Then I swiped his very last pair. When Sunday rolled around, I was still feeling horrible, but like an idiot, decided to join the family at church! What a great place for diarrhea. I spent the entire hour of Sacrament meeting holed up in the bathroom, hoping the lock was working on the door! I made some more stupid moves that Sunday, deciding to eat Laura's amazing baked spaghetti and garlic bread. But let me tell you, it did not taste as good coming up as it did going down. Perhaps I just wanted to punish myself? But eating spaghetti when you have a stomach bug is about the stupidest thing you could possibly do. Besides forgetting your underwear. I spent that night either hunched on the toilet, over the toilet, or sleeping on the bathroom floor.
The bug ended up lasting seven days and when all was said and done, I had lost 10 pounds, spent a morning in urgent care, and felt like I had lost a week of my life! I am so sorry, San Antonio Dunlaps, for bringing that awful virus into your home! Let this be a lesson to us all - if you're feeling sick, bag the trip!
3 comments:
You didn't know that the stomach bug was contagious? You went swimming,so that means everyone got it. When the boys get it, we all get it. This might be an old wife tale but it really works, drink coke. It is so bad for you that it kills anything (good or bad) inside your stomach. When I don't want to give that to the kids, I give them the pepto tables. They are so handy. This will be a story to share with your family for years to come and it goes well with that other story of when you were using a bad word at a BYU college presentation because you thought it meant something else. Priceless lol. Sending our love. xo
Oh noooooo! Reading this, I didn't know if I should laugh or cry. I've had similar experiences. I'm so sorry! It sounds like the worst trip (besides seeing family).
Loved your story Jess! And should I remind you that you were forewarned by your mother? Live and learn--that's the best way that any of us learns! So glad you finally got better. I can't imagine my life (or any of our lives) without YOU in it. I love you Jessica. Hugs, Mom
Post a Comment