Jul 7, 2020

Change

Today marks one month since Coronavirus interrupted our normal lives.*

For me, it all began when school was abruptly cancelled for a few weeks ... then it was cancelled for the rest of the school year! We were all a little shocked! I was sad the kids wouldn't get to finish out the school year with their wonderful teachers, Mrs. Nunn and Mrs. Hermanson, and their newfound friends. It was a hard adjustment transferring schools in the first place, and the boys had just started feeling comfortable and getting into a good groove. We're starting "distance learning" tomorrow to finish out 1st (Beau) and 4th (Hudson) grade. Wish us luck! Thank goodness for all of the wonderful online resources (Khan Academy, Epic, Reflex Math, Scholastic Learning to name a few). 

Church services are cancelled indefinitely. Fortunately, our leaders were inspired to begin "home centered" gospel learning last year. Our "Come Follow Me" curriculum feels like a tender mercy and blessing. Home church services have been very special. The sacrament has never felt so personal and reverent. My sweetheart Sebastian blesses the bread and water as my children and I kneel around the coffee table. We sing hymns together, we pray together, we read and discuss scripture sitting squished on our living room couch. We definitely miss the fellowship of going to church, but ward members have found ways of reaching out despite the separation and restrictions. 

The first weekend the virus hit, our ministering brothers brought over a "Coronavirus Survival Kit." Hudson's primary teacher called on Sunday to give him a challenge to share something that week (it went along with that Sunday's lesson). I was touched by Brother Oschwald's invitation to Hudson, so I made a commitment to stay in touch with my primary class as well. I created a Marco Polo group for us where we've shared talks, testimony, and music. My companion and I have left little treats on our students' doorsteps too. I can't wait to start teaching with her again! 

Grandma Dunlap was diagnosed with COVID-19 a little over three weeks ago. We've been Marco Poloing more than ever to keep in touch. Friends and family have joined together in prayer for our dear mother and grandma. She is slowly recovering and staying positive. She recently started taking walks in her backyard and her energy levels are a little higher. We've limited trips to the grocery store to one person (me) once a week. The shelves have been missing lots of items including toilet paper, paper towels, soap, hand sanitizer, canned chile, meat, eggs, bananas. I made cotton masks for our family and wear mine when shopping. It's been wild and surreal.

*I wrote this a few months ago, never finished, and forgot to post until July. I probably wrote this in April.

1 comment:

Celestine said...

So glad we've had your family and Jacob's family in town to share these unusual times with. We love you all!