Our transition to Albuquerque has been smooth as butter! The weather has welcomed my Seattle man with drizzly gray skies, and all our belongings fit snugly in my mom's sewing room. We decided to take the master suite while my parents are in Europe, and have watched a movie almost every night - it's been such a treat after an entire year without TV in the house! Here's what we've been up to . . .
July 5
Seb and I took the Railrunner to Belen to see Jared, Jenny, and Mario. They are looking and doing wonderful! Their house is as darling as ever, and I am in love with their baby! Mario is such a serious little man. He just sat and stared at me with inquisitive eyes and no smile. Ha ha. We took him swimming for the first time ever in the Belen High School Pool. Then, they treated us to lunch at a yummy burger joint - Harley May's. Afterwards, we played Mario Kart on the Wii. It wouldn't be Jared's house without a little Nintendo to top things off. So fun!

July 6
After church, Seb and I went to visit the coolest girl in the universe (I know, right? She lives in Albuquerque - who would've thought?) My friend, Andrea, treated us to lunch with Dion's pepperoni pizza and a tangy Greek salad. Ooh la la! It was so nice seeing her again!
The Week of July 7th
I started a serious job hunt this week, making it a goal to apply to at least 10 new jobs a day! On Monday, I went to UNM with Sebastian. He looked into financial aid while I tried to track down the professor in charge of the New Mexico Law Review (I had found out that they were looking for an editor for the law review, and I wanted to put in a good word or two about myself. Ha ha.) After a crazy, run-around day, Seb and I gorged ourselved on Frontier breakfast burritos. Mmm, mmm good.
At UNM, we had found out that Seb needs a job in order to get a NM liscence in order to make a case for himself to get in-state tuition (which is about $11,000/year as opposed to $28,000). The next morning, we made some calls and snatched him an interview that same day with Brother Cox (a family friend who owns a lot of property in ABQ). Seb was immediately hired. I thought he'd be doing landscaping, but he is actually doing crazy hard work: roofing, building walls, and chumming up with some awesome, hardened construction workers. It's been a cool learning experience for him, but my poor baby comes home beaten every day. He's already 3 shades darker too! There's a quick way to get a summer glow.
Andrea came to visit me the evening of the 9th and we totally girled out! We bought some pretty nail polishes and gave ourselves pedicures. It's sure going to be fun having my best girlfriend around! We are going jogging tonight and are going to try to do it a few times each week.
By the week's end, I applied to over 70 jobs and got six interviews scheduled:
- Technical Writing at Honewell
- Sales Assitant at KASY TV
- Something (no exact job identified yet) at Sandia National Labs
- Environment Advocate for Work for Progress
- Internet Content Producer for KRQE News
- Marketing and Advertising Consultant at Holman's
July 11
Sebastian and I decided to do a pizza tour of Albuquerque. My goal is to find a restaurant he likes as much as Seattle's Pagliacci's. And, dang, is Pagliacci's good. This weekend, I did a little research and decided to take him to a place called Il Vicino's. They bake their pizzas in an enourmous wood oven that is shaped like a lion's mouth. And the verdict: Delicious, thin, smoky crust but too skimpy on the toppings for my taste. Seb especially liked the fresh basil on his pepperoni pizza.




After dinner, we browsed Borders; I bought Stephanie Meyer's first adult novel, The Host, as well as a pack containing The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings trilogy for just $7.99! Great deal, eh? Thank you Lisa, Shar, Amy, and the others for that wonderful gift card!
Next door to Borders was a Whole Foods market. I had only been there once before and forgot how incredible that store is! They have samples galore! I sampled a handful of cherries, strawberries, blueberries, dried berries, barbecue potato chips, blue corn chips, fresh bread, cream-cheese salsa, freshly ground almond butter, and freshly ground honey-roasted peanut butter. After eating about $5 worth of samples, I figured spending $2.50 for some soy milk was definitely worth it. Ha ha. They have these awesome machines that grind the best peanut butter I've ever had right before your eyes! Wow! If I ever go homeless, I may just spend my time in there.
July 12
Seb and I browsed the Cottonwood Mall for deals and I ended up buying some white jeans . . . WHITE JEANS? Who wears those?! I don't know. But I do know that they are pretty cute. I just feel weird wearing them for some reason. I may take them back. Ha ha. I feel like I'm in a high school band or like I should be cleaning someone's teeth in them. I don't why.

After shopping, we went to Sweet Tomatoes with Clay and Mariela Webb (Clay served with Seb in Wisconsin). We had a great time catching up and the boys laughed their heads off.
For dinner that evening, Andrea invited us over for subs. When we opened the door . . . SUPRISE! It was a welcome home party :) Isn't she the greatest? She invited my closest high school friends, Jared and Jenny, and her parents over (and tried tracking down the Webb's) to celebrate our arrival in ABQ. She made a delicious feast as well: subs, potato salad, pasta salad, lemon squares, watermelon, and juice. She even made us a banner! We had a wonderful time laughing and playing Taboo. Ahhh, I love her :)
July 13
Sebastian and I taught the 12- and 13-year-old sunday school class for Marie Sorenson. The lesson was on Self-Mastery. I prepared brownies and cookies for an object lesson and we planned the lesson together. Although the lesson ended up being a repeat lesson (ha ha) we still had fun. Cute little punks. After church, Sebastian and I visited my grandma and Uncle Vernon. She is the cutest lady ever. I love her new perm. We chatted for a little while and left her with some goodies.
Well, this long, novelesque post sums up the past week and a half in Albuquerque. I interview at Sandia National Labs today (wish me luck!) and may be getting a haircut. Oh, and one more thing - yesterday, I got to make advertisements for WWE Smack Down and 90210 for a job interview work sample. Ha ha ha. That was pretty fun :) Check it out:

5 comments:
WAO. You guys have been really busy. I'm sorry I couldn't be at Andrea's party, I just got sick after cleaning the chapel that morning and I wasn't feeling that well. Hey. I like those white jeans. You can wear them with a gray t-shirt (80 style) and some accessories. (if you don't like them I can take them).
:)
I had to give my cell phone back b/c it was a work phone. We still have the UT # of Brandon's that we've had forever though. I'm glad you guys are enjoying being back in Alb. Good luck with all the job hunting!
It is pretty ironic that the coolest girl in the universe lives in stinkin' Albuquerque, NM...Oh wait, I take that back. The TWO coolest girls in the universe live in Albuquerque, NM. And even weirder - They are BEST FRIENDS! That is just insane, isn't it? I'm calling you tonight so that we can plan our next jog date. Woo!
Holy crap, have you been up to a lot! Good luck with the interviews and everything. I'm really impressed with your ads. You definitely have a future in marketing, and I have to say that meetings with the marketing team are my favorite part of my job. Chris at IL is freaking amazing, but I think you could be way better than him. Go you!
You guys have been so busy! Hope your interviews have been going well and that you'll find just the right thing! We had fun at sweet tomato! Welcome to ABQ, sorry we missed your welcome party..we are hard to track down at times! haha!
Post a Comment