Jan 1, 2020

I love my Grandma Joy Hobbs

9/12/2019 A stop at BYU on the way to my Grandma's funeral

This place is gorgeous!

So many happy memories here!


I love BYU!!

Dinner at the Brick Oven ... where it all began!
Aww! All under one roof again! So fun!

9/14/2019 My Grandma's House

So lovingly cared for up until her death!

I love my Grandmother's garden!
9/15/2019 Singing at Grandma's funeral

Gathered at the burial site



I wore my most flowery dress in honor of Grandma!

ALL the cousins were together but for Nate (on a mission in Scotland)


What a legacy!

Saying goodbye to Grandma's house!

My Grandma Joy passed away September 5, 2019. She had enjoyed dinner with her two oldest sons, was tucked lovingly into bed by my uncle Steve, and died in them middle of the night 3 months shy of her 90th birthday. Our family made the trek up to Idaho to celebrate her wonderful life. My family, my parents, Jacob's family, and Sam all met up at Jared's house in SLC on the way over and the way back. It was bittersweet staying in my Grandma's house for the very last time. I took the opportunity to cook some of her recipes in her kitchen (to host a little luncheon for our Mennonite family). We practiced a song she wanted her grandchildren to sing at her funeral, "My Grandmother's Old Fashioned Garden." Grandma Joy's passing has deeply moved me and I still can't believe she's gone. She will always hold a special place in my heart. The following is an excerpt I wrote when I found out she had passed on:

Grandma Joy's white brick house on Cassia Avenue will always hold a special place in my heart. That's where we travelled most summers as a kid to visit my grandparents, aunts, uncles, and cousins. It was my greatest wish as a child to live in Idaho Falls, so I could grow up near my awesome family!
The trek to Grandma and Grandpa's house would start early in the morning while it was still dark. We'd drive all day and into the night. We'd look at the horizon, searching for the glowing white temple. That meant we were almost there! Grandma and Grandpa would sometimes be waiting on their front steps for us. Grandma always had yummy treats to share hidden away in her tupperware. Peanut butter Rice Krispy bars, calico beans, caramel corn, chocolate covered almonds, hot fudge sauce. We'd drink milk out of tiny cups and eat cereal with fancy little teaspoons. The thought of her coconut breakfast pie puts a smile on my face - she made it almost every visit thinking we'd never tried it before!
We'd spend time picking raspberries in Grandma's yard; playing make-believe in her spider-filled play house; and salting big, green caterpillars from her garden. We'd dig through the dress up boxes in her basement, where we'd always find some sort of treasure: Aunt Connie's box of rings, a pair of sparkly silver heels, Grandpa's old boxing gloves, or the silly potato sack costumes.
Grandma's house meant visits to the river to feed the geese, games like Cooties and Trouble, trips to Taco Time and Sizzler, and visits from cousins. We'd sleep scattered around her living room floor making animal sounds in the dark. She had the softest velveteen blankets. The older cousins would put on magic shows, they'd arm wrestle, and take us on Snipe hunts. Grandpa would make homemade ice cream and Grandma would make huckleberry cream pie. Her yard was always immaculate with new flowers to see around every corner. Orange and purple pansies will always remind me of her.
When we were away, we knew Grandma was thinking of us. She had an ever-growing poster of her progeny. It included her children, grandchildren, and great-grandchildren with their birth dates and wedding dates scrawled next to their cut out photo. She'd send Valentine and Halloween cards with $2 bills in them and $10 for our birthdays! I got the same Yellowstone postcard from Grandma about 8 times! We always looked forward to her Christmas packages. She always got me thoughtful books from Deseret Book. I think she wrapped the presents really early and sometimes forgot what was what. My dad once received a pair of ladies gloves and stockings!
As I grew older, visits to Grandma's house continued but less frequently. Big events would have us trekking back up there: mission calls, weddings, and funerals. I'm so grateful my three oldest children were able to meet Grandma Joy or "Gray Grandma" as she was known by them. When Hudson was little, he grew attached to Grandma's Halloween decorations, so she sent him home with a collection of spooky dish towels!
More recent memories include playing Pinochle late into the night and rubbing grandma's tired feet. I sure love my Grandma Joy. She was cheerful, hard working, anchored in the gospel, and spunky. I always admired her for raising 5 amazing children. My dad is one of my favorite people on this planet and much of that is due to his wonderful, angel mother. I love you, Grandma! I'm so happy you get to be with your sweetheart once again! I know you missed him dearly! Enjoy this special time! You will be missed!

1 comment:

Celestine said...

What a wonderful, loving daughter and granddaughter you are, Jessica! Grandma Joy certainly loved you dearly. Wish we could have seen her more often.